Wednesday 14 August 2013

Why, What and How of Education

Why am I taking responsibility of the school at Barkheda?
Educating children is a responsibility that we’ve already taken on ourselves – our own children. We are very committed to it. Though we’re not experts in the area, we know that we’ll be able to do a good job, just as we’ve done a good job of raising them so far, though we weren’t experts at that either. Just expanding the scope of the responsibility to more children may be an incremental effort, but comes with significant incremental advantages - for our learning, the learning of our children and the learning of the kids in the school.

What the school does not mean to me.
  • It is not for social cause nor is it aimed at resolving any social ill like illiteracy, unemployment, poverty gender discrimination or the like.
  • It is not for rural children or urban children. It is for children.
  • It will not prepare students for academic success. Academic success will be incidental.
  • It will not be adjudged as successful on the basis of the growth in number of students, academic success of students, financial performance and media coverage.

Rekha & I have done some thinking about the ‘why’, ‘what’ and ‘how’ of the school. We’ve reached some answers. But, we’re sure that these answers are not all inclusive. Nor are they fool-proof and final. We realize that no answer is fool-proof and final. The benefit of collective thinking accrues when individual expertise, understanding and insight of all ‘dissolve’ such that the individuality of the expertise, understanding, insight and commitment ceases to exist. Also, conviction of a decision is much stronger if each individual is much stronger when one arrives at the decision. Therefore placing these answers for discussion will not be the correct starting point. Therefore, I’d like to begin the thinking process. The subject is vast and complex. Therefore I’ll try and pick threads for discussion and invite views.

Thread 1. Breaking of walls
I learnt this during a discussion with Rajesh Dalal and Saraswati. There are various walls which compartmentalize learning. For example, a wall exists between living and schooling. There is no evidence that learning happens only between 8 am to 2.30 pm, or that learning during these times has higher retention. On the contrary, all the learning other than the school hours may have higher retention because it is experiential.
Are there any other walls, which need to be broken?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Good beginning Shantanu.
    I really like ..
    'What School does not mean to me?'

    One of the most vital learnings for me from RajeshD who you mention is that the truth of any reality can be arrived at by seeing what it is not. Vs. Creating an ideal and then pursuing it. So thats a good beginning. We can perhaps never fully "know" what is great education. Far easier to see what it is not. And I totally see what you have said it is not.

    Learning and Living and of course Livelihood is the third aspect. These 3 have got fragmented. Like a lot else.

    I feel another wall that needs to be 'broken' is what I would like to call Right/Wrong wall. When we see the world from the lens of RIght/Wrong, we are not able to see Reality since that clouds vision greatly.

    I remember Rajinder sharing the wiser lens of True/ False.
    Or what is Real and what is limited. What is born from Love and what is the result of Fear. Any number of ways to see this.

    But I guess you get the point.
    For example, in my being with my daughter, Sufi.. who is now in boarding school.. at Sahyadri.. I am seeing the right and wrong.. But I am now more attentive to seeing what is real .. and what is false inside me .. in my response to the situation. My fears, desires and how that is coming in the way of my being with the truth of the situation.


    Much love..
    Kiran

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this conversations.....flowing, open, insightful and thoughtfully provocative
    Yes i too agree let us start from negation....
    A few walls that i can think of:
    1) A wall between Learning and Livelihood
    Shall add a few more as i think.....

    ReplyDelete